Photo by Scott Petersen via MMA Weekly.
Two of the judges considered the savage and sustained beating Njokuani put on Winner one-sided enough to award him a 10-8 round -- a very rare bird in MMA.
What was the high spot of this fight?
If you are a connoisseur of sustained sadism, both the first and second rounds feature extended periods when Njokuani methodically tees off on a helpless (but still standing) Winner for more than a minute at a time. Njokuani mixed punches, knees and elbows in a brutally effective mix as Winner covered up against the cage. It's a masterful exhibition of what fight fans call "picking your shots".
Where do these guys go from here?
Njokuani improves to 1-1 in the UFC so we know he'll be back. His fan-pleasing striking style means he'll likely get to hang around the UFC lightweight division for quite a while as long as he can go about .500.
Winner is likely headed for the chopping block after his third straight UFC loss. As a former finalist on The Ultimate Fighter and the rare British fighter who can win at the UFC level (he's 2-3 with the promotion), he's the kind of fighter they hold on to as long as they can but I'll be surprised if he survives this loss.
Watch it now, later, or never?
Now. With the large number of first round finishes on the UFC 132 card, I'd definitely include this one when you rewatch the event but you can skip the third round. Njokuani proved his point in the first 2 frames and pretty much coasted through the 3rd.
More BE coverage of UFC 132 in the full entry.
- Chris Leben and the Middleweight Title Picture - Fraser Coffeen
- Post-Fight Recap and Analysis - Mike Fagan
- The Day MMA Won The Combat Sports War - Josh Nason
- Why the Bantamweight Division Needs Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber 3 - Fraser Coffeen
- Bloody Elbow Radio UFC 132 Review
- Dominick Cruz Defeats Urijah Faber By Decision - Josh Nason
- Post-Fight Press Conference Video
- Chris Leben Knocks Out Wanderlei Silva In 27 Seconds - Josh Nason
- Tito Ortiz Fends Off Retirement - Matt Bishop
- Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader Fight Video Highlights - ESPN
- Tito Ortiz Submits Ryan Bader In The First Round - Josh Nason
- Dennis Siver Defeats Matt Wiman By Close Decision - Josh Nason
- Carlos Condit Knocks Out Dong Hyun Kim In The First Round - Josh Nason
- Melvin Guillard Knocks Out Shane Roller In First Round - Josh Nason
- Rafael dos Anjos Knocks Out George Sotiropoulos In 59 Seconds - Josh Nason
- Brian Bowles Defeats Takeya Mizugaki by Unanimous Decision - Leland Roling
- Anthony Njokuani Dominates Andre Winner - Leland Roling
- Aaron Simpson Puts Brad Tavares Through the Grinder - Leland Roling
- Jeff Hougland Showcases Diverse Skills, Decisions Donny Walker - Leland Roling