The UFC has scheduled a conference call today for 2 p.m. ET to promote UFC 133: Evans vs. Ortiz. Scheduled to appear on the call are headliners Rashad Evans and Tito Ortiz, both former UFC light heavyweight champions. UFC President Dana White usually joins these calls, but is not listed among the participants in the official UFC press release.
Follow Mike Fagan on Twitter for instant updates. Matt Roth will update this post live, and check back here following the conclusion of the call for a full recap of the proceedings.
Rashad Evans hasn't fought since a unanimous decision victory over Quinton "Rampage" Jackson at UFC 114 in May of last year. Tito Ortiz is coming off his first victory since 2006, submitting Ryan Bader earlier this month at UFC 132. Evans and Ortiz met once before, way back at UFC 73. That fight ended in a draw due to John McCarthy deducting a point from Ortiz for repeatedly grabbing the fence in the second round.
- It's been a long 14 months. A lot of ups and downs, in and out of the cage.
- I think Tito's gonna try to come out aggressive. He's riding off that momentum. He says his body feels good.
- I'm not worried about Tito's striking. If I worry about my own execution, it won't matter what Tito Ortiz does.
- I felt horrible about my UFC 73 performance for years. That's one you want to get back.
- There's really no reason for me to ever go back to Jackson's.
- It's great to fight in a city that has a great fight history.
- It got harder and harder to get one-on-one time in the gym at Jackson's. Training got stagnant.
- I don't like Jon Jones. I'll leave it at that.
- We call outselves the Blackzillians.
- I can't think of anyone as my greatest influence.
- I'm gonna fight with my heart and soul, and do what I do, which is entertain and get my hand raised.
- I originally told Dana no because I wanted to be around my family, needed to take care of business.
- Then the fighter in me started saying you're in great shape, you didn't get touched. Took a couple days to think about it.
- I have no doubts with my injuries anymore.
- No physical effects from the fender bender. I was more concerned about my son.
- People love or hate me. A lot of people love me right now, but there's always the haters.
- I don't care if I'm in a no-lose/win-win situation. I'm going to go in and do my job, and that's to fight.
- Look at Liddell. Look at Couture. They were champs at 36. Why not me? Just because of some losses and draws?
- People don't understand. They just see what happens in the cage. They don't see all the hard work that goes in to training.
- My name is enough now. I don't need to talk trash to sell a fight.
- There's no shape like wrestling shape.
- I had back surgery literally 8 months after the first fight with Rashad.
- Bader was a 6-1 overdog.
- God has great plans for me.
- I was like an animal having its first meal after a long winter.