One FC, a new Singapore-based promotion is set to host their debut event this September. Victor Cui, the same person who brought us 12 cards from top Asian promotion, ESPN Martial Combat, is set to spearhead this new promotion that promises to determine the top Mixed Martial Arts star in Asia. Their goal, to pit 16 different World, and National champions against each other in order to crown the one true champ from Asia.
They're hosting their first show on September 3rd, and while the fight card hasn't been finalized or announced yet, sources have informed BloodyElbow.com that a lightweight bout between URCC welterweight champion, Eduard Folayang, and Muay Thai champ turned MMA star, Ole Laursen has been set. The bout is currently penciled in as their co-headlining bout.
Folayang (9-1), is a multi-titled Wushu expert, and is one of the most popular MMA fighters from the Philippines. Laursen (5-2), on the other hand, is a Filipino born Danish fighter. He's an accomplished kickboxer who has also been doing very well in MMA, that our own Leland Roling ranked him as the #8 lightweight, in the World MMA Scouting Report. Both guys became Martial Combat Super-Fight champions last year, and both guys are currently riding lengthy win streaks. As most of their fights, their contrasting styles should guarantee that this would be a very entertaining battle.
Japanese MMA is on the decline, and while One FC has a very lofty goal, if they can pull it off, they have the potential to rise and be one of the premier organizations in the continent. As with all debuting promotions, we have yet to see if they can constantly host events, or if they can actually get the top guys needed to achieve and legitimize their goals. One thing is for sure though, booking this match up is a step in the right direction.
More updates from the Asian MMA scene after the jump.
- Thailand, the breeding ground of the world's best Muay Thai fighters, will be having a historic event this weekend, as 'DARE' will be hosting the country's biggest MMA event yet. If this promotion gets some traction, we could have a chance to see a wave of talented Muay Thai fighters making the jump to MMA.
- Legend FC 5 will happen this July in Macau, and it will be headlined by 2 title bouts. The main event will feature a welterweight championship bout between Bae Myung Ho of Korea as he tries to take the belt from current champ, Rod MacSwain of New Zealand. The co-headlining bout will be the finals of their Bantamweight tournament which will pit Korea's Jo Nam Jin and China's Yao Honggang, to crown Legend FC's first 135 lb. champion. Also on the card, the first round of their Featherweight tournament.
- URCC, the Philippines' top MMA promotion, is hosting one of their regional shows in Davao on August 21st. They're planning to crown the first regional URCC Mindanao Champion from the event.
- Also, their next major show will happen this November, and as URCC 20 is starting to shape up, it is promising to be one of the most stacked events in Asian MMA history. Plans are already in place to have multiple championships on the line, with the Heavyweight, Cruiserweight, Middleweight, and Bantamweight titles likely to be up for grabs that night.
- Aside from title fights from those divisions mentioned, there are also rumors that Kevin Belingon's flyweight title and a super-fight title would also be on the line. Things aren't finalized yet, but the URCC's 20th major show is starting to shape up as their biggest and best one yet.