How do these two stack up?
Stann: 30 years old | 6'1" | 74" reach
Santiago: 30 years old | 6'1" | 75" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Brian Stann started his career as a Light Heavyweight in the WEC. There, he defeated Doug Marshall in 2008 to become the WEC Light Heavyweight champion. He lost that belt just before the organization dissolved the division, and Stann quickly moved to the UFC. After going 2-2 at Light Heavyweight, he made the move down to Middleweight, where he has gone 2-0. He comes in off the biggest win of his career - a first round KO of Chris Leben at UFC 125 in January.
Jorge Santiago is a nearly 10 year veteran of the sport, who has fought all over the world. In 2006 he made his UFC debut, going 1-2 before being released. After that, he made a brief stop in Strikeforce to win a one night, four man tournament, before settling in Japan's Sengoku organization. He thrived in Japan, going 7-1 in Sengoku including a pair of classic fights with Kazuo Misaki and becoming the company's first, and only, Middleweight champion. Earlier this year, as the company shut down, he was granted his release. He's now a top 10 ranked Middleweight.
Why should you care?
These are two finishers, and should provide a very exciting fight. Santiago's last fight was arguably the Fight of the Year, and this could easily be Fight of the Night. There are also title implications here as the winner will be a new name at the very top of the division.
More UFC 130 Coverage from Bloody Elbow:
- Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Matt Hamill In-Depth Preview - Leland Roling
- UFC 130 Gambling Spotlight: Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Matt Hamill - Mike Fagan
- Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson In-Depth Preview - Leland Roling
- Jorge Santiago vs. Brian Stann In Depth Preview - Dallas G Winston
- Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- Tim Boetsch vs. Kendall Grove In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- UFC 130 Bloody Elbow Staff Predictions
- UFC 130 Weigh-In Video and Results