Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
Thiago Alves (18-7, 10-4 UFC) takes on Smokey Mountain Wrestling wannabe Rick Story (12-3, 5-1 UFC) in a welterweight bout at UFC 130. Injuries to Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard bumped this fight onto the pay-per-view broadcast. For more information on how to watch the pay-per-view, check your local cable guide.
How do these two stack up?
Alves: 27 years old | 5'9" | 70" reach
Story: 26 years old | 5'10" | 71" reach
What have these two done lately?
How did these two get here?
Thiago Alves entered the UFC way back in 2005, when Mike Goldberg didn't have the same sultry bass in his voice that he has now. Alves went 2-2 in his UFC debut, including a loss to Jon Fitch after an upkick left him cuddling Fitch without being aware of it. He ran off seven straight wins, ending on a three-fight streak over Karo Parisyan, Matt Hughes, and Fitch-teammate Josh Koscheck. The streak earned Alves a title shot against Georges St. Pierre, who defeated Alves by unanimous decision despite ripping his groin apart. A rematch with Fitch proved fruitless, though he wasn't helped by an awful weight cut that left him a pound-and-a-half over the 170 lb. limit. Alves rebounded with a win over Jon Howard at UFC 124.
Rick Story dropped his UFC debut to John Hathaway at UFC 99. He responded with an arm triangle submission over Brian Foster in a mirror match. He rattled off four consecutive wins following Foster, including Dustin Hazelett and Johny Hendricks.
Why should you care?
Alves fought for a title less than two years ago.
More UFC 130 Coverage from Bloody Elbow:
- Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Matt Hamill In-Depth Preview - Leland Roling
- UFC 130 Gambling Spotlight: Quinton 'Rampage' Jackson vs. Matt Hamill - Mike Fagan
- Frank Mir vs. Roy Nelson In-Depth Preview - Leland Roling
- Jorge Santiago vs. Brian Stann In Depth Preview - Dallas G Winston
- Thiago Alves vs. Rick Story In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- Stefan Struve vs. Travis Browne In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- Miguel Torres vs. Demetrious Johnson In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- Tim Boetsch vs. Kendall Grove In Depth Preview - Dallas G. Winston
- UFC 130 Bloody Elbow Staff Predictions
- UFC 130 Weigh-In Video and Results