According to Dana White, as reported by MMAFighting.com's Mike Chiappetta, current UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez may return to the Octagon in October and fight the winner of the UFC 131 showdown between Brock Lesnar and Junior dos Santos:
Earlier this week, the promotion announced it would visit Houston in the fall with an event and a Fan Expo. On Saturday, White said the event could be targeted for Velasquez to defend his title.
"I don't know yet but probably," he said. "It sounds like that would make a lot of sense."
Velasquez has been on the shelf since defeating Brock Lesnar last October. He had shoulder surgery shortly thereafter and has been undergoing extensive physical therapy to get back into fighting shape Meanwhile, in June, Lesnar and Junior dos Santos will be fighting for the right to face Velasquez for the belt.
The date isn't set in stone as it isn't definitive that Velasquez will be fully recovered from his injury. Chiappetta also draws some concern that a significant injury to either Lesnar or dos Santos could cause the bout to fall through despite a four month layoff in between fights.
Most fans are expecting Lesnar to wilt under the pressure of being punched by a powerful striker like dos Santos. Lesnar, however, has the credentials and size to bring the fight to the ground and punish dos Santos, possibly setting up a rematch with Velasquez roughly one year after their first encounter at UFC 121. The UFC could be looking at big business on the card with Lesnar's involvement on top of a couple of added big name fights.