What was the high spot of this fight?
Hard to say given the slow pace of the fight but GSP landed a nice head kick in round 4. The punch by Shields that blinded GSP was probably a bigger moment though.
Where do these guys go from here?
St. Pierre can either hang out at 170 pounds and wait for Nick Diaz, Diego Sanchez or maybe Carlos Condit to challenge. Or, he can go up to middleweight to challenge Anderson Silva. You know, if Anderson is still interested. And if GSP still wants to. And if the UFC wants it to happen. I fully expect more GSP at welterweight.
As for Jake Shields. I genuinely think UFC 129 was the best he'd ever, ever do against St. Pierre. What he does first is hope like hell that GSP jumps up to 185. Beyond that, I suppose he hopes that his performance gets him a rematch or at least a chance to get a win and a rematch. Jake Shields may very well be your new Jon Fitch.
Watch it now, later, or never?
It's an ugly, slow fight. You can read about it and learn everything you need to know. But it was a title fight and GSP lost rounds on two cards so maybe you want to watch it later.
More UFC 129 Coverage from Bloody Elbow:
- Next Day Thoughts - Donna Hurrle
- GSP Tried to Force the KO Against Jake Shields - Kid Nate
- Jose Aldo Continues Fight for Mainstream Recognition - David St. Martin
- Georges St. Pierre vs. Anderson Silva Loses Steam - Brent Brookhouse
- Great Judging Should Be Applauded Sometimes - Tim Burke
- UFC Hits Home Run With UFC 129 Live Experience - Matt Bishop
- Zuffa and the UFC Finally Hit It Big - Matthew Roth
- Hours After, GSP Still Can't See With His Left Eye - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 129 Play by Play and Live Commentary - Brent Brookhouse
- Is Steven Seagal Secretly a Martial Arts Genius? - Jonathan Snowden
- Georges St. Pierre Holds Back UFC's Canadian Coming Out Party at UFC 129 - Jonathan Snowden
- UFC 129 Post-Fight Press Conference Video
- Georges St. Pierre Slips Past Jake Shields
- Jose Aldo Holds Off Mark Hominick
- Lyoto Machida Clouts Randy Couture
- Vladimir Matyushenko Mops the Floor With Jason Brilz
- Ben Henderson Whips Up On Mark Bocek
- Rory MacDonald Ragdolls Nate Diaz
- Jake Ellenberger Brutalizes Sean Pierson
- Claude Patrick Edges Daniel Roberts
- Pablo Garza Submits Yves Jabouin
- John Makdessi KO's Kyle Watson With Spinning Back Fist
- Jason MacDonald Triangles Ryan Jensen
- Ivan Menjivar Clocks Charlie Valencia