Ivan Menjivar showed what he can do against a fighter his own size against bantamweight Charlie Valencia at UFC 129, dropping the WEC veteran with a standing elbow and forcing the TKO stoppage at 1:30 of the first round.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Menjivar visibly smashing Valencia's nose with a short, sharp, shock of a standing elbow was good enough for Joe Rogan to ooh and aah over for several minutes of slow motion instant replays after the fight.
Where do these guys go from here?
Menjivar stays alive in the UFC's 135lb division, improving his UFC record to 1-1. Expect him to move fairly quickly up the ladder of the division. He could end up facing the winner of UFC 130's Renan Barao vs. Cole Escovedo bout.
Valencia went 5-4 in the WEC and is now 0-1 in the UFC. I'd expect the 36 year old to get one last chance in the UFC, but wouldn't be shocked if they cut him after this loss either.
Watch it now, later, or never?
- Next Day Thoughts - Donna Hurrle
- GSP Tried to Force the KO Against Jake Shields - Kid Nate
- Jose Aldo Continues Fight for Mainstream Recognition - David St. Martin
- Georges St. Pierre vs. Anderson Silva Loses Steam - Brent Brookhouse
- Great Judging Should Be Applauded Sometimes - Tim Burke
- UFC Hits Home Run With UFC 129 Live Experience - Matt Bishop
- Zuffa and the UFC Finally Hit It Big - Matthew Roth
- Hours After, GSP Still Can't See With His Left Eye - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 129 Play by Play and Live Commentary - Brent Brookhouse
- Is Steven Seagal Secretly a Martial Arts Genius? - Jonathan Snowden
- Georges St. Pierre Holds Back UFC's Canadian Coming Out Party at UFC 129 - Jonathan Snowden
- UFC 129 Post-Fight Press Conference Video
- Georges St. Pierre Slips Past Jake Shields
- Jose Aldo Holds Off Mark Hominick
- Lyoto Machida Clouts Randy Couture
- Vladimir Matyushenko Mops the Floor With Jason Brilz
- Ben Henderson Whips Up On Mark Bocek
- Rory MacDonald Ragdolls Nate Diaz
- Jake Ellenberger Brutalizes Sean Pierson
- Claude Patrick Edges Daniel Roberts
- Pablo Garza Submits Yves Jabouin
- John Makdessi KO's Kyle Watson With Spinning Back Fist
- Jason MacDonald Triangles Ryan Jensen
- Ivan Menjivar Clocks Charlie Valencia