Strikeforce returns to Showtime after and extended time away from the network with two title fights. Headlining the card will be Strikeforce lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez defending his belt against Jorge Masvidal. As the co-main event Cristiane Santos returns after a year in purgatory to defend her title against Hiroko Yamanaka.
As with all events, Zuffa is holding a conference call for the press. The conference call, hosted by STRIKEFORCE CEO Scott Coker, will feature STRIKEFORCE lightweight champion Gilbert Melendez and No. 1 contender Jorge Masvidal, as well as STRIKEFORCE women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Santos and challenger Hiroko Yamanaka. For instant updates follow Matt Roth on twitter (@mattroth512). Immediately after the call I promise to post the tweets after the jump for those that don't have twitter.
STRIKEFORCE®: MELENDEZ vs. MASVIDAL airs live on SHOWTIME at 10:30 p.m. ET/PT (Delayed on West Coast) on Saturday, Dec. 17.
Edit: Tweets are now up after the jump...
- There's nothing to announce with Showtime but I'm optimistic. We're gonna wait and see. We'll have something to announce shortly.
- There's still a lot of great fighters on the roster. Nothing will change and you can watch some amazing fights in 2012.
- Right now we're committed to 145 and 135. Female fights often outdraw the male fights.
- January 7th is still a pending event.
- Short notice is definitely difficult but we have more people working for Strikeforce than ever. Last 6 weeks most important.
- HW GP will end probably in March. Depends on Cormier's recovery from broken hand. He's seeing a doctor in a week.
- Regarding Ronda, you can't just look at her MMA fights. You have to consider everything including Judo background.
- We'd never put in a fighter that is over-matched. With Ronda you're talking about a fighter with experience.
- Excited for fight. Jorge is under rated. I anticipated this fight a few years ago. I'm pumped for it.
- He looked really good against KJ. He's adapted to the weight class.
- My contract was already signed to fight Jorge when Dana was talking about me. Jorge has been my focus. It's something we talked about.
- The goal is to be number one at the end of the day. You need to be UFC champ.
- You get motivated when you're the underdog. It bothers me when people say I'm gonna run through him.
- I think I deserve a shot at the UFC belt. If I can get it soon then that's great. It's inevitable.
- It doesn't matter who. I don't have a particular person I want to fight. I want to find out for myself if I'm number one.
- I think I'm gonna pull guard ahhaha. Nah, I'm not about to give away my game plan. I'm gonna go out there and show it.
- I'm very content. Since the UFC took over I've been able to brand myself more. It's about creating life after the cage.
- There's talent in Strikeforce but I think I've done my thing there. It'd be cool to fight UFC guys in Strikeforce. I love the hexagon.
- It doesn't have to be a UFC fighter I just want a top fighter. Scott pulls tough fighters to give me a tough challenge.
- I don't believe that there are any other worthy opponents on the roster.
- Elbows have always been something in my mind. They're something that come naturally with me with GNP.
- In Jorge's losses there may have been questions of motivation. I hope that he's motivated for this fight. Looking at tape.
- Contracts are meant for us fighters to not understand them. I have a lawyer and hopefully we can get my move to the UFC going.
- Fighting top ranked guys is what I really care about. Sometimes you can fight a guy who has a belt and he's not a top guy.
- It doesn't matter what people say about Gil. To me it's another fight. Only difference is training for 5 rounds.
- When I say 'just another fight' I'm not dissing my opponent. It's just a fight. Whatever happens after is great.
- Move to 135 will be difficult but it's something she wants. There's more work for her there.
- Will do both classes if possible. Just more fights at 135.
- Has gotten better at jiu jitsu and boxing. Feels she is a better fighter now.
- You can acquire prestige from working hard. It works both ways if you want to be a hard working or popular fighter.
- I don't feel like I'm being overlooked.
- I do feel my experience will help me. I have a lot of good experience.
- I want American fans to know I'm determined. I will walk out the cage with the belt.