At UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem, Donald Cerrone (17-3, 1 NC; 4-0 UFC) faces Nate Diaz (14-7; 9-5 UFC). This Lightweight fight is the semi-main event of the evening. The USA TODAY / MMA Nation Consensus MMA Rankings currently have Cerrone as the #8 Lightweight in the world and Diaz at #13. The PPV card begins Friday night at the later start time of 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT.
To me, the most interesting aspect of this fight comes in the stand-up game. Both Diaz and Cerrone are very strong stand-up fighters, though each comes at striking from a very different approach. For Diaz, boxing is the primary striking style, specifically the kind of high-volume boxing perfected by Nate and brother Nick Diaz. For The Cowboy, striking is more based on Muay Thai, as he uses a full arsenal of punches, kicks, and knees. I look forward to seeing how it plays out on the feet, and if either man decides to go to the mat, where both will still be quite comfortable.
How do these two stack up?
Cerrone: 28 years old | 6'0" | 73" reach
Diaz: 26 years old | 6'0" | 76" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Donald Cerrone, along with Ben Henderson, has come to the UFC and really validated the WEC Lightweight division. A lot of people felt the WEC division was inherently inferior to its UFC counterpart, and that the WEC fighters would suffer when making the jump to the UFC earlier this year. For Cerrone, that definitely was not the case. The former WEC #1 contender has gone a perfect 4-0 in the UFC and has been steadily moving up the ladder. His last win was a very impressive dismantling of top ranked Dennis Siver at UFC 137. Is Cerrone on track to follow former WEC rival Henderson to a UFC title shot? A win here would certainly help that cause.
Nate Diaz started his UFC career as Nick's little brother and The Ultimate Fighter winner, but has made his own name during his four year run with the organization. He started his UFC career strong, with 5 straight wins before going 1-3 and moving up to Welterweight. Again, he started strong with back to back wins, then dropped two in a row at 170 and dropped back down to Lightweight. He's 1-0 since the return, defeating Takanori Gomi at UFC 135. Switching back and forth between weights make Nate feel a little bit like a man without a home. He really needs a win here to show he is still a relevant factor in the division.
Why should you care?
This should be a great technical fight. With both men possessing excellent stand-up and ground skills, it's an easy contender for Fight of the Night.
More UFC 141 preview coverage from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC 141 Judo Chop: Brock Lesnar Evolves From Athlete to Mixed Martial Artist Inside Three Years - Ben Thapa
- UFC 141: Brock Lesnar Complete Career Retrospective Part 2 - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 141's Brock Lesnar F-5's a Shark for Summer Slam - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Video: Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem Stare Down and Weigh-In Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Weigh Ins Gallery And Results - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Vladimir Matyushenko vs. Alexander Gustafsson Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 141: Jon Fitch vs. Johny Hendricks Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 141: Dana White On Miguel Torres Backlash, Previous Overeem Comments, Brock Lesnar - Josh Nason
- UFC 141: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Staff Predictions
- UFC 141: The Existential Crisis That Awaits the Loser of Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem - David Castillo
- UFC 141: Nam Phan vs. Jimy Hettes Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 141: The Laughable Scrutiny That Saved Alistair Overeem vs. Brock Lesnar - Leland Roling
- UFC 141's Brock Lesnar Survives Botched Shooting Star Press at Wrestlemania 19 - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Jon Fitch's Trainer Says Fans Who Criticize His Style Don't Understand MMA - Brent Brookhouse
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 116: UFC 141/DREAM Roundtable - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 On Spike TV: Pearson vs. Assuncao, Njokuani vs. Castillo Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 141 Dana White Video Blog - Day 2 Focuses On Fastest Knockout - Josh Nason
- UFC 141: Brock Lesnar Career Retrospective Part 1 - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 141 Pre-Event Press Conference: Watch Brock Lesnar, Alistair Overeem Speak - Josh Nason
- UFC 141: Alistair Overeem Says Bout With Brock Lesnar is More Than Wrestler vs. Striker - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141: Facebook Undercard Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 141's Brock Lesnar Brutalizes Zach Gowen On Smackdown - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Video: Nate Diaz Explains Incident With Donald Cerrone - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Video: Brock Lesnar Speaks On His Return to MMA Against Alistair Overeem - Matthew Roth
- Countdown to UFC 141 Brock Lesnar vs Alistair Overeem Full Video - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Jon Fitch Talks Johny Hendricks, Talent vs. Hard Work - Tim Burke
- UFC 141: Alistair Overeem Takes Pre-Fight Drug Test for Conditional License - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141: Dana White Video Blog - Day 1 - Josh Nason
- Luke Thomas Calls Alistair Overeem NSAC Hearing 'Farcical' and Previews UFC 141 on The Fight Fix - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Video: Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle Create Comedic Gold - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: UFC Heavyweight Division State of the Union - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 141 Video: Brock Lesnar and Alistair Overeem are GI Joes - Matthew Roth
- Frank Mir: Alistair Overeem Will Get Taken Down, and His Cardio Will 'Suck' Against Brock Lesnar - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141: Alistair Overeem - 'Brock Doesn't Like to Get Hit' - Tim Burke
- UFC 141: Brock Lesnar Makes His WWE Debut On Monday Night Raw - Matthew Roth