The biggest news coming on the Asian circuit recently was the Fedor Emelianenko vs. Satoshi Ishii fight being officially announced. They have also released a promotional video along with their poster. Check them out below:
As for the poster of the event, I think this might be the first time I'm going to say this, but I think the UFC completely outclassed them with their UFC: Japan poster:
Also not coming as a surprise, Tim Sylvia vs. Brett Rogers is cancelled because Rogers couldn't be granted a visa after recently being released from jail. It's still a pretty good card that features stars such as Shinya Aoki, Tatsuya Kawajiri, Bibiano Fernandes, along with Fedor Emelianenko and Megumi Fujii, two fighters who have been long time kingpins of their division.
Check out the card, along with a bunch of other news from the Asian MMA region after the jump.
Oh, and don't forget to follow me on twitter - @antontabuena.
DREAM: New Year 2011 Fight Card:
- Fedor Emelianenko vs. Satoshi Ishii
- Hiroyuki Takaya vs. Takeshi Inoue [Featherweight Championship]
- Shinya Aoki vs. Satoru Kitaoka [Lightweight Championship]
- Tatsuya Kawajiri vs. Kazuyuki Miyata
- Ryo Chonan vs. Hayato Sakurai
- Rodolfo Marques Diniz vs. Bibiano Fernandes
- Antonio Banuelos vs. Masakazu Imanari
- Yusup Saadulaev vs. Hideo Tokoro
- Karla Benitez vs. Megumi Fujii
There are much more news from the Asian region, so here's a quick round up:
- There's also this report saying that Cro Cop, or Mirko Filipovic will be on the NYE event against Jerome Le Banner. The two have faced off before, but this wouldn't be a rematch of sorts, as it might just be a prowrestling bout on IGF rules. This would be a treat for Japanese fans if it pushes through, although I personally don't like my MMA or Kickboxing bouts mixed in with my pro-wrestling.
- DARE FC, a new and unique promotion from Thailand just signed Daiju Takase, a PRIDE and UFC veteran who is more known for submitting Anderson Silva, before he was, you know... ANDERSON SILVA. He will face Brandon "BK" Kesler on their January 7 event, as part of their middleweight tournament.
Chatri Sityodtong, the founder and head coach of Evolve MMA, got some great mainstream press coverage from MSN. He and Greg Jackson are the only representatives of MMA and were listed as 2 of the top coaches of 2011.
The list includes Rick Carlisle of the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks, and top football (yes, real football) coaches, Pep Guardiola, and Alex Ferguson, among others.
- Speaking of Evolve, have you seen my photo galleries from their beautiful gym?
- The URCC will be hosting the finals of their Tribal Brawl this weekend. After battling it out on several legs of the tournament, this event will crown the best Amateur fighters from the country across several weight divisions. This could be an event that brings the next big thing in Filipino MMA.
- The URCC have also met recently with Jessie Rafols, and Eric Kelly, who has been having some problems that caused him to pull out of the recent Black Tie Brawl event. This would presumably be about future international bouts for those stars.