At UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, Antonio Rogerio Nogueira defeated Tito Ortiz via ground and pound stoppage. The end came at 3:15 in round 1 after Lil' Nog unleashed a series of elbows to Ortiz's ribs. This Light Heavyweight fight was the third bout on the PPV card. This was Tito's second loss since his upset victory over Ryan Bader this summer. Nogueira snaps a 2 fight losing streak here and improves his UFC record to 3-2.
This looked like it would be a battle of Ortiz's ground and pound and wrestling vs. Nogueira's boxing, and that is exactly how it played out. They started by exchanging on the feet, with Tito holding his own. But Nogueira clipped him with a right hand, then followed up with some nasty knees to the body that visibly hurt Ortiz and dropped him. On the ground, Nogueira maintained ground position and used elbows to Tito's ribcage to get the stoppage. Immediately after the fight ended, it was clear that Nog's body attack was seriously damaging, as Ortiz was in a lot of pain.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Those standing knees to the body from Rogerio were the big fight-turners, and are a technique I always love to see.
Where do these guys go from here?
Nogueira said he was in great shape and ready to make a real run, but I don't think that's happening. He is a perfect guy to keep around for fights like this one - fun clashes between two veterans. He's been scheduled to fight both Rich Franklin and Forrest Griffin during his UFC run, only to have both fights cancelled due to injury. Now seems like a good time for either.
Tito Ortiz christened himself The People's Champion before the fight, and is clearly in the final lap of his lengthy career. Post-fight, he was crystal clear about his intentions - fight once more next year so that he is a 15 year veteran of the sport, then retire. The UFC has a rare opportunity here to give one of their true all time greats a proper send-off, and to be frank, Tito deserves it. I'd like to see them pair him up with a proper final opponent, not just some random up and comer. Best bet? Get Chuck Liddell back in the gym and cash in on that Ultimate Fighter fight that never happened.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. As was the trend at this show, it's a short fight, with a big finish.
- UFC 140 Results: Dan Henderson Calls Out Jon Jones, Wants to Test His Chin - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Told to Check on Lyoto Machida Post-Fight to 'Get Some Fans' - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Jon Jones is the Best Fighter on Earth - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Frank Mir Uses a Kimura to Break Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Arm - Ben Thapa
- UFC 140 Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Did Fight Endings Prove MMA is Too Violent to Fully Go Mainstream? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Photo: X-Ray of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Broken Arm From Bout Against Frank Mir - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Event Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Video Results: Dana White Praises Jon Jones and Frank Mir - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Full Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Vs. Lyoto Machida In Photos - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 108: UFC 140 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Puts Lyoto Machida To Sleep With A Standing Guillotine - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Frank Mir Submits Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Via Kimura - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Stops Tito Ortiz in the First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Brian Ebersole Picks Up Split Decision Over Claude Patrick - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Chan Sung Jung Knocks Out Mark Hominick Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Pay-Per-View Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Igor Pokrajac Knocks Krzysztof Soszynski Out Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Constantinos Philippou Stops Jared Hamman with Punches - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Dennis Hallman Chokes John Makdessi out In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Yves Jabouin Earns Split Decision Over Walel Watson - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for ION TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Mark Bocek Wins Unanimous Decision Over Nik Lentz - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jake Hecht Stops Rich Attonito In The Second Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: John Cholish Stops Mitch Clarke with Strikes - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play For Facebook Fights - Brent Brookhouse