At UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, Frank Mir defeated Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira for the second time. And he did it in emphatic fashion, snapping Minotauro's arm with a kimura in 3:38 in round 1. This Heavyweight fight was the co-main event of the evening. Mir is now on a 3 fight win streak, and since 2007 has only lost to two men - Brock Lesnar and Shane Carwin. Big Nog falls to 4-3 in the UFC.
Since defeating Nogueira at UFC 92, Mir has been on a strong run back to the top of the division. But some felt he had to prove his first win over Nog was valid, as Minotauro was sick for that first bout. Mir silenced the critics definitively here with that kimura - probably the nastiest submission seen in the UFC since... well, since Frank Mir snapped another arm against Tim Sylvia way back at UFC 48. What made the win perhaps even more impressive is that just moments ago, Mir himself was nearly finished by Nogueira's punches. When Nog changed tactics and moved to a submission, Mir reversed, cranked in the kimura, and when when Nog failed to tap, he snapped the arm. Gruesome, but impressive.
What was the high spot of this fight?
"High-spot" is a tough term to apply to watching a legend have his arm snap in half, but clearly that was the big moment. That entire ground exchange leading up to the break was amazing. Many fans assumed these two jiu jitsu masters would settle their differences on their feet once again, but we were treated to one of the finest, albeit fastest, displays of submission grappling you'll find in the Heavyweight division.
Where do these guys go from here?
Clearly, Mir is now in the very upper-most ranks of the division. I don't love his chances against someone like champion Junior dos Santos, but he's earned his chance. If I could choose any fight for Mir, I'd like to see him against Fabricio Werdum or Josh Barnett, but assuming they stay in Strikeforce, a clash with Cain Velasquez seems right. There's also talk of Mir possibly stepping in for Alistair Overeem at UFC 141 to complete his trilogy with Lesnar, though those rumors seem largely unsubstantiated at the moment.
Nogueira may need surgery to repair the arm and the shoulder, so let's be honest here - this should be it. It's sad to see the legend go out in such a horrible fashion, and we will all miss him inside the cage, but how much more can this man possibly give?
Watch it now, later or never?
That depends. Are you OK watching the arm snap in multiple slo-mo replays? If so, watch it now. If not, maybe take a pass, but you'll be missing quite the fight.
- UFC 140 Results: Dan Henderson Calls Out Jon Jones, Wants to Test His Chin - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Told to Check on Lyoto Machida Post-Fight to 'Get Some Fans' - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Jon Jones is the Best Fighter on Earth - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Frank Mir Uses a Kimura to Break Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Arm - Ben Thapa
- UFC 140 Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Did Fight Endings Prove MMA is Too Violent to Fully Go Mainstream? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Photo: X-Ray of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Broken Arm From Bout Against Frank Mir - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Event Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Video Results: Dana White Praises Jon Jones and Frank Mir - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Full Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Vs. Lyoto Machida In Photos - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 108: UFC 140 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Puts Lyoto Machida To Sleep With A Standing Guillotine - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Frank Mir Submits Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Via Kimura - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Stops Tito Ortiz in the First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Brian Ebersole Picks Up Split Decision Over Claude Patrick - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Chan Sung Jung Knocks Out Mark Hominick Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Pay-Per-View Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Igor Pokrajac Knocks Krzysztof Soszynski Out Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Constantinos Philippou Stops Jared Hamman with Punches - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Dennis Hallman Chokes John Makdessi out In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Yves Jabouin Earns Split Decision Over Walel Watson - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for ION TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Mark Bocek Wins Unanimous Decision Over Nik Lentz - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jake Hecht Stops Rich Attonito In The Second Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: John Cholish Stops Mitch Clarke with Strikes - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play For Facebook Fights - Brent Brookhouse