At UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, UFC Light Heavyweight champion Jon Jones successfully defended his belt for the 2nd time, choking out Lyoto Machida at 4:26 of round 2. Jones used a modified guillotine to choke The Dragon unconscious. Jones is now 15-1 in his career, and an astonishing 4-0 in 2011. Machida, after starting his career by going 16-0, is just 1-3 in his last 4.
The big question in this fight was how each man would approach his opponent's unique style. For round 1 and the start of round 2, it looked like Machida had come up with an answer, but the champion had not. Lyoto used his fast in and out movement to catch Jones more than once, staggering the young fighter like no one ever has before. By midway through round 2, it looked like Jones was in real trouble.
Then, Jones managed to get the fight to the ground and landed a fight-changing elbow. Those elbows from Jones are just brutal, as men like Brandon Vera and Vladimir Matyushenko (and Matt Hamill) can testify. Jones cut Machida open with one, and once they regained their feet, it was clear that Lyoto was in trouble. They clinched, Jones locked in a choke, and then turned Lyoto's head in an awkward angle. Lyoto went completely out cold, and when referee Big John McCarthy stepped in, the former champion fell in a lump to the mat in an image that rivaled the Nogueira arm break for its brutality.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Really, the entire thing was amazing to watch in the moment, as you had a chance to see two tremendous fighters try and figure out how to win. Jones's choke is the final highlight on a thrilling 10 minutes of action.
Where do these guys go from here?
One year ago, Jon Jones was a possible future contender with an exciting future. Today, he is the UFC Light Heavyweight champion, the first man since Chuck Liddell to defend the belt more than once, and has wins over Shogun, Rampage, and Lyoto - 3 of the last 5 champions. He's clearly the fighter of the year, maybe the best fighter in the world, and probably just had the single best year of any fighter in MMA history. So, what next? Either Dan Henderson, or Rashad Evans, should he get past Phil Davis at the UFC on Fox 2 card. Evans and Hendo are the two men still out there as a challenge to Jones, and either would make a great fight.
For Lyoto, I just don't know. He was seen as so invincible at one time, but it's just not going his way lately. Still, he had the most success anyone has yet had against Jones, and remains a fixture at the top of the division. He needs a win badly next time out.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. Like, right now. Another spectacular performance, and another brutal highlight reel ending. And yes, that does make 4 of the 5 main card fights your should watch now - it was just that kind of show.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 140in the full entry.
- UFC 140 Results: Dan Henderson Calls Out Jon Jones, Wants to Test His Chin - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Told to Check on Lyoto Machida Post-Fight to 'Get Some Fans' - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Jon Jones is the Best Fighter on Earth - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Frank Mir Uses a Kimura to Break Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Arm - Ben Thapa
- UFC 140 Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Did Fight Endings Prove MMA is Too Violent to Fully Go Mainstream? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Photo: X-Ray of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Broken Arm From Bout Against Frank Mir - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Event Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Video Results: Dana White Praises Jon Jones and Frank Mir - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Full Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Vs. Lyoto Machida In Photos - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 108: UFC 140 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Puts Lyoto Machida To Sleep With A Standing Guillotine - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Frank Mir Submits Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Via Kimura - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Stops Tito Ortiz in the First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Brian Ebersole Picks Up Split Decision Over Claude Patrick - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Chan Sung Jung Knocks Out Mark Hominick Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Pay-Per-View Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Igor Pokrajac Knocks Krzysztof Soszynski Out Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Constantinos Philippou Stops Jared Hamman with Punches - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Dennis Hallman Chokes John Makdessi out In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Yves Jabouin Earns Split Decision Over Walel Watson - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for ION TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Mark Bocek Wins Unanimous Decision Over Nik Lentz - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jake Hecht Stops Rich Attonito In The Second Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: John Cholish Stops Mitch Clarke with Strikes - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play For Facebook Fights - Brent Brookhouse