Photo by Nick Laham/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
Mark Bocek became the first man to beat Nik Lentz in the UFC when he took a unanimous decision at UFC 140. With the win, Bocek raised his record to 10-4, 6-4 in the UFC. Lentz dropped to 24-2-1 (1 NC) for his career and 5-1-1 (1 NC) during his UFC run.
Bocek was able to win all three rounds on all judges' scorecards on the strength of his takedowns an top control. In each round Bocek was able to find ways to get the fight to the ground and work with punches and elbows. Lentz did a very good job of preventing Bocek from passing and attacking with submissions, but he wasn't able to do much offensively aside from some guillotine attempts. The chokes were deep at times but Bocek remained calm and survived and continued working his top game.
What was the high spot of the fight?
Not a whole lot of variety here but I guess I'd go with Lentz locking in a deep guillotine late in the second round. Once Bocek got out of that choke it was pretty clear that he was safe to take the decision.
Where do these guys go from here?
Bocek is a tough case. He has four career losses and three of them are to current top ten lightweights, the other was against Mac Danzig in one of Mac's best UFC performances. I'd like to see Bocek get another chance to crack the top 25 with a fight against the Sam Stout/Thiago Tavares UFC 142 winner.
As for Lentz? He's not exactly been fan friendly for a lot of his career and had one of the most fortunate runs I can ever remember in the UFC. You can't cut the guy off one loss but he may find himself in the strange position of being in a do-or-die fight next time out despite only losing one UFC bout to date.
Watch it now, later or never?
Never. It's a fine fight with interesting ground work. But given how much great stuff there was on the card, this one is skipable.
- UFC 140 Results: Dan Henderson Calls Out Jon Jones, Wants to Test His Chin - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Told to Check on Lyoto Machida Post-Fight to 'Get Some Fans' - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Jon Jones is the Best Fighter on Earth - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Frank Mir Uses a Kimura to Break Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Arm - Ben Thapa
- UFC 140 Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Did Fight Endings Prove MMA is Too Violent to Fully Go Mainstream? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Photo: X-Ray of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Broken Arm From Bout Against Frank Mir - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Event Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Video Results: Dana White Praises Jon Jones and Frank Mir - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Full Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Vs. Lyoto Machida In Photos - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 108: UFC 140 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Puts Lyoto Machida To Sleep With A Standing Guillotine - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Frank Mir Submits Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Via Kimura - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Stops Tito Ortiz in the First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Brian Ebersole Picks Up Split Decision Over Claude Patrick - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Chan Sung Jung Knocks Out Mark Hominick Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Pay-Per-View Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Igor Pokrajac Knocks Krzysztof Soszynski Out Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Constantinos Philippou Stops Jared Hamman with Punches - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Dennis Hallman Chokes John Makdessi out In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Yves Jabouin Earns Split Decision Over Walel Watson - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for ION TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Mark Bocek Wins Unanimous Decision Over Nik Lentz - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jake Hecht Stops Rich Attonito In The Second Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: John Cholish Stops Mitch Clarke with Strikes - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play For Facebook Fights - Brent Brookhouse