TORONTO, ON - DECEMBER 10: (R-L) Constantinos Philippou punches Jared Hamman during the UFC 140 event at Air Canada Centre on December 10, 2011 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. (Photo by Nick Laham/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images)
At UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, Constantinos Philippou defeated Jared Hamman via TKO at 3:11 in round 1. This Middleweight fight was part of the ION prelims. Philippou now is 2-1 in the Octagon, with back to back wins over Jorge Rivera and Hamman. Hamman drops to 2-3 in the UFC, 13-4 overall.
With the exception of one good choke attempt by Costa Philippou, this fight was mostly contested on the feet. There, it came down to Hamman's superior kicks vs. Costa's superior hands. In that battle, it was the hands that prevailed, as Philippou was able to get through Hamman's defenses and find his chin a number of times. Hamman is known for his tough chin, but it couldn't hold up against Philippou's high level boxing. Hamman was dropped multiple times before John McCarthy stepped in and waved the fight off.
What was the high spot of this fight?
From that first heavy right that dropped Hamman clear through the end was all impressive. Phlippou really does have superb hands, and he showed it in this sequence by landing cleanly on Hamman again and again.
Where do these guys go from here?
With wins over Rivera and Hamman, it's time for Philippou to be considered in the midst of the division. I'd like to see him get a higher profile fight against someone who is a bit more well rounded and will test Philippou's overall game. I nominate either Alan Belcher or Ed Herman.
Hamman is entertaining, and is just one fight removed from defeating C.B. Dollaway, so his job is safe at the moment. But this didn't bode well for his future in the UFC, as he was totally outstruck, and his much heralded chin couldn't keep up. Whoever he faces next, he will likely be in a win or be cut situation.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. It's just 3 minutes, shows some excellent boxing, plus announces the arrival of a new Middleweight player.
- UFC 140 Results: Dan Henderson Calls Out Jon Jones, Wants to Test His Chin - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Told to Check on Lyoto Machida Post-Fight to 'Get Some Fans' - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Jon Jones is the Best Fighter on Earth - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Frank Mir Uses a Kimura to Break Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Arm - Ben Thapa
- UFC 140 Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results - Did Fight Endings Prove MMA is Too Violent to Fully Go Mainstream? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Photo: X-Ray of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's Broken Arm From Bout Against Frank Mir - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Event Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140 Video Results: Dana White Praises Jon Jones and Frank Mir - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Full Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Vs. Lyoto Machida In Photos - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Video: Full Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 108: UFC 140 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 140 Results: Jon Jones Puts Lyoto Machida To Sleep With A Standing Guillotine - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Frank Mir Submits Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Via Kimura - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Stops Tito Ortiz in the First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Brian Ebersole Picks Up Split Decision Over Claude Patrick - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Chan Sung Jung Knocks Out Mark Hominick Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for Pay-Per-View Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Igor Pokrajac Knocks Krzysztof Soszynski Out Early In First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Constantinos Philippou Stops Jared Hamman with Punches - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Dennis Hallman Chokes John Makdessi out In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Yves Jabouin Earns Split Decision Over Walel Watson - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play for ION TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Results: Mark Bocek Wins Unanimous Decision Over Nik Lentz - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: Jake Hecht Stops Rich Attonito In The Second Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140 Results: John Cholish Stops Mitch Clarke with Strikes - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Live Results and Play-By-Play For Facebook Fights - Brent Brookhouse