At UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida, former #1 contender Mark Hominick (20-9; 3-1 UFC) fights Chan Sung Jung, "The Korean Zombie" (11-3; 1-0 UFC). This fight is in the Featherweight division and is the opening bout on the PPV card. Hominick is surrently the #8 Featherweight in the world according to the USA TODAY / MMA Nation Consensus MMA Rankings, while Jung is unranked. The PPV card begins Saturday night at 9 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT.
These are two complete mixed martial artists, with submission wins on their resumes, but let's be honest, this one is going to be a stand-up war. Both men love the striking game, though Jung comes at it from more of a fast-paced slugfest standpoint, while Hominick is much more technical. It's the perfect kind of PPV opener - fast, exciting, with two very skilled opponents.
How do these two stack up?
Hominick: 29 years old | 5'8" | 68.5" reach
Jung: 24 years old | 5'9" | 72" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
How did they get here? Apparently by fighting George Roop and Leonard Garcia quite a lot...
Mark Hominick is looking to get back to the winning side after falling short in his effort to win the UFC Featherweight title from Jose Aldo. That UFC 129 fight saw Hominick suffer a nasty hematoma that deformed his head. But Hominick was game, and fought on against the very tough Aldo. Before that loss he was on a 7-1 streak with some of the best work of his career. This will likely be an emotional fight for Hominick, as it will be the first time he returns to the ring since the sudden death of his long-time trainer, mentor, and friend Shawn Tompkins. Hominick's stand-up game is a direct result of his work with Tompkins, and that loss had to have been tough for The Machine.
The Korean Zombie will forever be known for his wild Fight of Year brawl with Leonard Garcia at the WEC: Aldo vs. Faber PPV. Jung ended up on the losing end of that fight, though many felt he should have had the judges' decision. He's 1-1 since then, suffering the first stoppage loss of his career at the hands (or, more accurately, foot) of George Roop, then submitting Garcia in a rematch earlier this year. That submission vis twister remains a highlight of UFC action in 2011. Jung feels like he is being overlooked in this fight, and will look to make a huge impact by beating the top 10 Hominick.
Why should you care?
This fight is going to be a blast. Jung may have slowed down his Korean Zombie style offense, but he is still very unpredictable and fun, as that twister on Garcia showed. And if you are a fan of stand-up, it doesn't get much better from a technical standpoint than Hominick.
More UFC 140 preview coverage from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 140 Video: Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Undisputed 3 Fight Prediction - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Tito Ortiz vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 140 Jones Vs. Machida Predictions
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Full Weigh-in Video - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Is Lyoto Machida Sick Heading Into Fight With Jon Jones? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Claude Patrick vs. Brian Ebersole Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida Fight Odds - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Mark Hominick vs. Chan Sung Jung Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC's Jon Jones Nominated For ESPN SportsNation Award - Josh Nason
- UFC 140: The Complete Jon Jones Career Part 3 - Fraser Coffeen
- Dana White On Lyoto Machida's UFC 140 Title Shot: 'Do You Think That This Fight is Going to Suck?' - Brent Brookhouse
- Lyoto Machida: The Mystery May Be Gone, But is There Still Room for Romance? - David Castillo
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 107: UFC 140 Preview - Matt Bishop
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - ION Television Undercard Dissection - Dallas Winston
- Video: UFC 140 Jones Vs. Machida Pre-Fight Press Conference - Matthew Roth
- Chan Sung Jung Talks Underdog Status to Hominick at UFC 140: "Wait And See!" - Dallas Winston
- Judo Chop: Shogun Rua's Half Guard Game and How Jon Jones Shut It Down - Ben Thapa
- UFC 140: Jon Jones vs. Lyoto Machida Countdown Show Full Video - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 140's Tito Ortiz Talks Repairing Relationship With Dana White - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140: Jones vs. Machida - Facebook Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 140 Round Table: Is Jon Jones' Lack Of Star Power to Blame for UFC 140 Not Being Sold Out?
- UFC 140: The Complete Jon Jones Career Part 2 - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 140's Jon Jones Talks Lyoto Machida, Religion and Says Rashad Evans Has No Chin - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC Light Heavyweight Division State of the Union - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 140 Main Card Betting Lines - Tim Burke
- UFC 140 Still Not Sold Out A Week Out From The Event - Matthew Roth
- UFC 140: Lyoto Machida Talks About His Preparation for Jon Jones - Tim Burke
- UFC 140: The Complete Jon Jones Career Part 1 - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 140 Video: Tito Ortiz Considering Retirement - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 140 Fight Card: Jones vs. Machida - Tim Burke