Indy/Puro fans, as well as Colorado football fans suffered another tough loss last week with the passing of Mark "Bison" Smith. He was always a gruff, private guy, but on Cabana's podcast, as everyone does, he really opened up and I liked him a lot more. Fucking month and change later he's gone. Rest easy, Bison.
On a better note, Your Mom! Onto YWICS.
This fanpost was promoted to the front page by Tim Burke
And That's the Way it Was: Ten Fighters after last weekend who are shining. No fading allowed:
1. Saul Alvarez
2. Eduardo Dantas
3. Adrien Broner
4. Mamed Khalidov
5. Marius Zaromskis
6. Patricky Freire
7. Gary Russell Jr.
8. Dave Menne
9. Jesse Bongfeldt
10. Karl Amoussou
Friday December 2
12:30am Shark Fights (Fuel TV)
1:00am James Tillis vs. Pinklon Thomas (ESPN Classic)
2:00am Dwight Braxton vs. Matthew Saad Muhammed I (ESPN Classic)
2:30am Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto I (HBO Zone)
3:00am Al Lewis vs. Muhammed Ali (ESPN Classic)
3:30am Tim Coleman vs. Vernon Paris (ESPN 3D)
4:00am Benny Paret vs. Gene Fullmer (ESPN Classic)
10:00am SportsCentury: Mike Tyson (ESPN Classic)
3:30pm ProElite: Big Funs (HDNet)
4:00pm Face Off: Cotto/Margarito (HBO2)
8:00pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO)
8:00pm Inside MMA w/Michael Bisping, Ian McCall, Nick Newell (HDNet)
8:00pm Cut Thorat MMA: Invasion 4 (GoFightLive $9.99)
8:30pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO)
8:30pm Tachi Palace Fights 11: Redemption (Sherdog.com)
9:00pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito Overtime Live (HBO)
9:00pm XFC 15: Tribute (HDNet)
9:00pm UFC 140 Countdown (Fuel TV)
10:00pm Legend Fighting Championships 3/4 (Fuel TV)
11:00pm Anthony Dirrell vs. Renan St. Juste/Chris Avalos vs. Jhonatan Romero (Showtime)
11:30pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO)
Saturday December 3
12:00am 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO)
12:30am 24/7 Cotto/Margarito Overtime (HBO)
1:00am Inside MMA w/Michael Bisping, Ian McCall, Nick Newell (HDNet)
2:00am Anthony Dirrell vs. Renan St. Juste/Chris Avalos vs. Jhonatan Romero (Showtime Extreme)
2:00am XFC 15: Tribute (HDNet)
3:00am Legend Fighting Championship 3/4 (Fuel TV)
9:00am The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
10:00am 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO)
10:30am 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO)
11:00am The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
11:00am 24/7 Cotto/Margarito Overtime (HBO)
11:30am Face Off: Cotto vs. Magarito (HBO)
12:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
1:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
2:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
2:00pm Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto I (HBO Zone)
3:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
3:00pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO Zone)
3:30pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito (HBO Zone)
4:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
4:00pm 24/7 Cotto/Margarito Overtime (HBO Zone)
4:30pm Cotto/Margarito: In & Out of the Ring (HBO Zone)
4:30pm David Lopez vs. Hugo Centeno (FSN)
5:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
5:00pm Fight Day Now! (HBO Zone)
6:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
7:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 (Spike TV)
7:00pm The Warriors Cup XIII (GoFightLive $14.99)
8:00pm The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale (Spike TV)
9:00pm Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto II (PPV)
9:00pm Abner Mares vs. Joseph Agbeko/Anselmo Moreno vs. Vic Darchinyan (Showtime)
9:00pm Legend Fighting Championships 3/4 (Fuel TV)
10:00pm Epic Fighting 9: California State Finals (GoFightLive $9.99)
11:30pm Abner Mares vs. Joseph Agbeko/Anselmo Moreno vs. Vic Darchinyan (Showtime Extreme)
Sunday December 4
12:00am The Ultimate Fighter 14 Finale (Spike TV)
9:00pm UFC 140 Countdown (FSN)
Under the Radar: Names that aren't on American broadcasted shows this week.
Felix Sturm vs. Martin Murray (December 2, Lanxess Arena, Cologne, Germany)
Alexander Povetkin vs. Cedric Boswell (December 3, Hartwall Arena, Helsinki, Finland)
Manabu Inoue vs. Shintaro Ishiwatari (Pancrase Impressive Tour 13, December 3, Differ Ariake, Tokyo, Japan)
Geronimo dos Santos vs. Cristiano Souza (Golden Fight 3, December 3, Amapa, Brazil)
John Alessio vs. Ryan Healy (Score Fighting Series 3: Alessio vs. Healy, December 3, RBC Center, Sarnia, Ontario)
Best Viewing Options: A man who has been thoroughly impressed with the new and improved Beavis and Butthead this season attempts to point you in other fruitful viewing ventures.
1. Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto II: Not so much for the main event, which I could take or leave, but the fucking undercard. Wow. Brandon Rios, Mike Jones, and the rematch of my FOTY, Wolak vs. Rodriguez. YUS! THAT'S how you craft a fucking undercard.
2. TUF 14 Finale: I won't be breaking any new ground with hatespeak on Bisping, so I'll add this. Sonnen would 30-25 Bisping and Mayhem. In no way should the winner fight Silva yet.
3. Abner Mares vs. Joseph Agbeko: You know, Diamond MMA makes a cup...
4. Tachi Palace Fights 11: Oh, this should be good. On the heels of the EPIC viewing experience that was Tachi Palace Fights 10, the good folks at Sherdog bring us the eleventh installment from the godfathers of WEC. Come for Bubba Jenkins, flyweights, and free high--level MMA. Stay for the streaming quality of 7th-grade girls intramural volleyball, Jordan Breen, AND THE CIRCLE OF DEATH. I strongly urge all of you to find the TPF 10 Live Thread. That's one of the funniest goddamn three hours I've ever spent.
5. 24/7 Cotto vs. Margarito: The final installment of the epic series for these two.
6. Inside MMA: Bas is currently asking on Twitter what your favorite Bas moment is. I'm on hour number ten.
7. XFC 15: Wow, is this a shitty card. This makes one of Legacy or Titan's HDNet cards look like UFC 92. Jesus. But hey, the return of Imani Lee! I know I've needed a little more Imani Lee in my life. Plus, Nick Newell, one-armed fighter! I don't want to bag on XFC too hard, and they've put on some decent shows in the past, but when your two main draws are a 350-pound super heavyweight and a one-armed fighter. Yeah, that's a fucking gimmick card.
8. The Warriors Cup XIII: Something that's NOT a gimmick. Warriors Cup Muay-Thai! Damn your $15 price tag!
9. Al Lewis vs. Muhammed Ali: Who doesn't love some hot Cassius Clay action at 3AM? NOT THIS GUY! Though, I think Joe Louis would destroy him in each of their primes...discussion for another time.
t10. Antonio Margarito vs. Miguel Cotto I: Last chance to catch it before the rematch, kids.
t10: Anthony Dirrell vs. Renan St. Juste/Chris Avalos vs. Jhonatan Romero: Meh. Sure.
BV Loses You Money: Ahhh...back on the losing side this week. Feels right. Cozy.
Last Weekend's Hangover:
If you put down $100 on each of my predictions last week, you'd have today:
BV Lost You: $87!
On the Year: -$635
Miguel Cotto -200 Antonio Margarito
Under 10.5 rounds Cotto/Margarito +145
Joseph Agbeko -115 Abner Mares
Brandon Rios -1200 John Murray
Jason Miller +175 Michael Bisping
Lines courtesy of BetUS
Fight of the Week: The scene is Jungle Fight 1 at Manaus in 2003, where a 3-0 Stephan Bonnar (with all wins by submission to that point, including a win over Brian Ebersole) faces off against 1-0 prospect Lyoto Machida. SOMEBODY'S O HAS GOTTA GO!!! I'm so sorry. Even with so little experience, Machida's counter-fighting is fantastic to watch.
Stephan Bonnar vs Lyoto Machida (via oyzterslush)
Take a Knee: Even the biggest combat sports fan needs to recharge their batteries before diving back in. Here are five games that are nationally broadcasted this weekend that deserve your eyes as well on Friday and Saturday.
(Note: I'll be excluding my teams from this to avoid homerism.)
Georgia vs. LSU (Saturday, 4:00, CBS): SEC Championship game! Georgia is a damned solid team....but they're not LSU. Last step to LSU-Bama II for the National Title game.
UCLA @ Oregon (Friday, 8:00, FOX): First-ever Pac-12 title game and it features the mighty Oregon Ducks against...UCLA? Hm. Alright.
Montreal @ Los Angeles (Saturday, 3:30, NHL Network, CBC, Fox Sports West): All I want for Christmas...is Mike Richards and PK Subban fighting to the death. A steel-belt boy can dream.
Toronto @ Boston (Saturday, 7:00, NHL Network, CBC, NESN): If Kessel and Seguin just threw down at center ice, the CBC feed would explode and Don Cherry would have a stroke. Quite frankly, there's still time, gentlemen.
Oklahoma @ Oklahoma State (Saturday, 8:00, ABC): BEDLAM!...would have meant a lot more two weeks ago. As it is, still a great game, but definitely loses some stank on it.
Your YouTube Finale: The fine men of Mystery Science Theater 3000 in one of their crowning achievements, Space Mutiny. Also, for those that don't know, they're still around doing a project called Rifftrax.
Best of MST3k: Space Mutiny (via theblackwolf72)