Well the great MMA weekend is finally over. From the Strikeforce Challengers show on Friday night to Bellator 58 and UFC 139 last night, it was going to be tough for M-1 Global to continue the trend of great fights we experienced over the course of 48 hours. Sporting the return of Fedor Emelianenko, the M-1 pay per view attempted to showcase the best the promotion had to offer in front of a Russian crowd. Did they achieve this goal? Probably not, but there are some pretty good take aways from the event.
- Before I talk about any fights, the first thing that needs to be discussed is the absolutely atrocious commentary. I'm a Jeremy Horn fan. I think he's one of the best fighters of all time. But he was awful on the microphone, often trailing off without completing his point. As bad as he was, he still was more professional than Benny Ricardo. Ricardo didn't just have difficulty on the microphone, he was down right awful. Among his errors he called the event "M-Global", called Jeff Monson "Jim Munson" and described Fedor Emelianenko as "the last emper Fayder Emelenko". Those aren't typos. After the event he had the gall to say "I don't know if I got all those names right but I gave it a heck of a shot." Guy, you didn't get any name right. You didn't even get the name of the promotion right. You literally got nothing right.
- Nice to see that M-1 Global ponied up money for Morgan Freeman or a Morgan Freeman impersonator do the voice over work for the Fedor/Monson pre-fight package. It was reminiscent of March of the Penguins.
- Fedor looked good today. He used some nice leg kicks to put a hurting on Jeff Monson. I can't take too much away from the fight because Monson was waddling to the ring on his walkout. The fight with Satoshi Ishii on New Years Eve does interest me, if only to see how far Fedor has dropped and how much Ishii really wants to be a fighter.
- Speaking of Jeff Monson, he needs to stop fighting. He looked awful, didn't set up any shots, and just got picked apart. He constantly flopped to his back hoping that Fedor would enter his guard and when that didn't happen he didn't really have another way to get the fight to the ground.
- The crowd was definitely hot for Fedor. Possibly one of the best responses in MMA. You could definitely hear that he is a hero in the country. Nice to see that Putin was hanging out watching the fights. He also got a solid response.
- The rest of the fights all ended in finish. Not the most high level display of skills but a finish is a finish in my book.