- Tristar Gym, headed by Firas Zahabi and is home to several MMA stars including Georges St. Pierre, Miguel Torres, and Rory MacDonald, will be expanding to Asia. They will be opening a huge facility in China, and plans to put up more gyms in the region.
Zahabi, along with Michael Zeid and Stéphane Vigneault will be spearheading this expansion, and will definitely help further develop the growing MMA scene in China. Check out as they talk about the move:
- As reported here earlier, Jon Jones was supposed to do a PR tour in the Philippines, but had to cancel at the last minute when the UFC booked him to face Lyoto Machida in December. ABS-CBN, the parent company of Balls channel, which handles UFC broadcasts in the country, has now finalized the replacement for the planned event. After having earlier worries it would get cancelled after he lost at UFC 137, the company was still able to eventually secure a deal to bring in the two division champion, B.J. Penn.
His full-schedule has yet to be released, but among a myriad of press duties, Penn is set for a huge open-workout at the SM Mall of Asia on November 30. This is the same venue where Georges St. Pierre held a similar event which drew thousands and thousands of Filipino fight fans last year.
BloodyElbow.com will be on hand for that event, along with his other plans when he goes around the Philippines, so as always stay tuned for a ton of updates and interesting stuff.
- Here's an interesting interview with Mark Sangiao, head coach of Team Lakay Wushu, which is home to some of the best fighters in Asia, including Eduard Folayang, Kevin Belingon, Roy Docyogen and Honorio Banario among others.
- In case you missed it, here's our exclusive gallery from URCC XX, which has a ton of awesome photos taken by my brother, Paolo Tabuena.
- Lee Li has a pretty cool 'behind the scenes' look at Legend FC 6.
Upcoming cards this month:
- URCC Rogue Black Tie Brawl, November 19, Philippines. It's a strictly formal event, which will be headlined by Eric Kelly's title defense. The show will be streamed on URCCMMA.com at around 7am ET. Hopefully it will be better than their URCC 20 stream.
- PXC 28, November 26, Philippines. Guam's biggest promotion heads to the Philippines again with an event headlined by Jon Tuck, a BJJ Blackbelt, and the only guy to ever defeat the Philippines' own Folayang.