On November 19, URCC Featherweight Champion, Eric Kelly, will be defending his title on Black Tie Brawl. For those unfamiliar with the yearly affair, this event produced by Rogue Magazine and the URCC definitely won't be your typical MMA show.
As the name suggests, the Black Tie Brawl is a strictly formal event held at the Grand Ballroom of the New World Hotel. These dressed up fans and patrons will also get a fancy sit-down 3-course dinner, champagne, and an open bar courtesy of Chivas. All that, plus 6 top notch MMA bouts will guarantee different kind of experience for fight fans in the country.
As mentioned, one of the top Asian featherweights will be headlining the event. Kelly, who is coming off a big win over Evolve MMA's Mitch Chilson at ONE FC, will be defending his URCC title against Ricardo Sapno. All of the undefeated champ's victories has come by submission, although he might have to rely more on his striking this time, as he's taking on a talented Judo fighter in Sapno.
Also on the card, are two of the top stand outs from last weekend's URCC XX. 6-foot-4 Bantamweight, Will 'The Kill' Chope and Reydon 'The Filipino Bolo Punch' Romero are both going to have quick turn-arounds as they will be stepping back in the ring on separate featherweight bouts exactly two weeks after they picked up huge wins on that milestone URCC event. They'll be taking on Miguel Alo and Michael Dan Rubio respectively on key bouts that could determine the next title challenger.
Check out the full fight card, along with other Asian MMA news after the jump.
URCC Rogue Black Tie Brawl
November 19, 2011 - New World Hotel Grand Ballroom
- Eric Kelly vs. Ricardo Sapno [URCC Featherweight Championship]
- Melchor Cases vs. Mitch Malii
- Michael Dan Rubio vs. Red 'The Filipino Bolo Punch' Romero
- Miguel Alo vs. Will Chope
- Rendel Camensi vs. Keiff Mangusan
- Mario Sismundo vs. Bong Garchitorena
Pictured: Eric Kelly celebrating his victory over Mitch Chilson, at ONE FC's debut event last September. Photo by Anton Tabuena.
As for your other MMA news from around the region, here are a few tidbits coming out of the various Asian promotions:
- Shooto has announced a top notch bout between their former bantamweight champ, Masakatsu Ueda (14-1-2), and undefeated 21-year-old prospect, Kyoji Horiguchi (6-0). Ueda is coming off four straight wins, with the latest one being a move up to lightweight where he retired Royler Gracie at AFC 1. Horiguchi, on the other hand, is the former Shooto Rookie champ, and is one of the youngest brightest prospects on their roster.
- Here's the poster and promo video for the PXC 28 event which will happen on Nov 26, in Pasig, Philippines. For more details on the event, check it out here.
- Road FC 5, which happens on December 3 has been finalized, and as reported earlier, the more notable names include, UFC vet Dennis Kang, and ONE FC fighter Vuyisile Colossa, and Evolve MMA's Brian Choi. (HT: Nightmare of Battle):
- Here's the intro video for Legend FC 6. The show will also have be aired on November 19, at 8 PM, on Kix channel.