I usually tend to write these Asian MMA Update several days apart, but today had a bunch of breaking news for the region's MMA scene, so as always, here's a quick round up:
- As reported here, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones was set to visit the Philippines late this month. All the commercials, posters, and promos of the event was seen all over the country, but when Bones received a call from Dana White to defend his title against Lyoto Machida this December, he naturally, had to pull out of this tour. Officials from ABS-CBN, the parent network of Balls channel which runs UFC programming, have confirmed the news to BloodyElbow.com and mentioned that they're looking to bring another UFC star to the country sometime this November.
- I reported the news on ONE FC signing a partnership with the Philippines' top promotion in the URCC. They have a plans for a co-promoted Philippine show on 2012, and now it looks like they're going to do something similar in Korea. One FC has a deal with Road FC, and now the Korean promotion has announced that they have a tentative date set for a co-promoted show in Korea sometime around August of 2012.
- Road FC also gave a few additional details on their partnership, stating that they have an agreement not to host shows at the same date as One FC events. This is probably applicable for the other deals One FC has with promotions such as Dare (Thailand) and URCC (Philippines).
- Wushu expert and URCC champ, Kevin Belingon (9-0) was set to take on URCC interim bantamweight champion, Jessie Rafols (6-1) in a super-fight this November for URCC 20. Unfortunately, his camp, Team Lakay, informs us that Belingon will be pulling out of the fight after injuring his left shoulder that will keep him sidelined for at least 3-4 weeks.
- URCC matchmaker Willy Carlos informs BloodyElbow.com that likely to step in to face Rafols on three weeks notice, is Reydon 'The Filipino Bolo Punch' Romero, who won his last outing with a one punch knockout in just 46 seconds. The featherweight contender will be dropping down to bantamweight to face Rafols, who has been making a name for himself as one of the most dangerous fighters in the URCC roster. There will be 6 titles on the line on this November 5 event, although there is still no word on which one will be taking the headlining spot now that Belingon has pulled out of it.
Hong Man Choi got arrested for allegedly assaulting a woman in his bar. According to Dan Herbertson, they were apparently arguing over the bill, and woman who was pressing charges was "drunk, threw glasses, punched and kicked Choi, made derogatory comments about his parents". The 7-foot-tall K-1 and MMA fighter said he just pushed the woman out of the way after she went out of control, while the woman claims she was punched. Apparently the witnesses were all supporting Choi's story, and the fighter even promised to retire from kickboxing if he was lying.
As always, follow me on twitter and stay tuned to Bloody Elbow for more updates.