There are a bunch of news doled out by UFC president, Dana White, on the press conference following the WEC's first foray in to PPV. Here are the most interesting bits:
- They gave out $65,000 'fight night' bonuses, which was a huge raise from the $10,000 bonus on the last WEC event. Lightweight champ, Benson Henderson got Submission of the Night for choking out Donald Cerrone, Manny Gamburyan got Knockout of the Night for his upset victory over Mike Brown, and the 'Fight of the Night' went to Leonard Garcia and Chan Sung Jung. (Photo via @badboygarcia)
- 14,144 people attended the event, for a live gate of $1 million. Most fans were wearing "No Way Jose!" merchandise, and while Urijah Faber lost, he helped big time in drawing in fans to secure the WEC's biggest gate and attendance so far.
- Dana White confirms rumors that a UFC 118 bout between James Toney and Randy Couture is in the works. "It's not a done deal yet," White said. "But yeah, I'm working on that."
- Despite his anger over Anderson Silva's performance, even stating that he might fight in the prelims, Dana says that Silva will headline UFC 117 against Chael Sonnen.
- Dana says Aldo is gunning for three world titles. He says that the current featherweight champ, wants to move to bantamweight, win the title, and move up to 155 and challenge for the UFC belt also.
"I had heard that he wants to move down a weight class, win that belt and then go to 155 to fight BJ in the UFC. If he can do that, I don't know if he can cut that weight and make that light a weight division, but he'd be the first guy to win three titles in three different weight divisions... I think it'd be pretty interesting. I love stuff like that. I think if a guy proves himself at a certain weight class it's time to move on and try something new and I like that. but it's so hard to do in this sport because there's such a gap between weight classes. You can't be like [Manny] Pacquiao [jumping] seven different weight classes."
- Jake Shields was shown in the PPV broadcast sitting next to Dana White, with the UFC president mouthing the words "He's mine". He then told Ariel Helwani after the event, that the "Knuckleheads" had 45-60 days to negotiate before Shields enters the market.
- Dana White said that Mike Brown had personal problems before the fight, and that he left camp for two weeks. More details are found in the video bellow. (best viewed in wide mode)