photo: Tracy Lee
- Kenny Florian outboxed a very good boxer in Takanori Gomi. In his previous fight he outwrestled a very good wrestler in Clay Guida. These weren't wins over the cream of the crop, but they were wins in dominating fashion over very legitimate fighters. It's a real shame for Kenny that BJ Penn is so far above the rest of the division.
- Kenny's jab was a thing of beauty, and a tool that just does not get used enough in MMA. Especially when a guy is showing a lack of head movement. Gomi was trying to move forward and Florian just used his reach and incredible footwork to stay at the distance he wanted and pop the jab all night.
- Speaking of using his length, I think Stefan Struve needs to take a six month break and go train nothing but kickboxing. The height difference against Roy Nelson was hilarious on TV but insignificant in practice. Nelson just walked forward, got close and unloaded a bomb that more or less ended the fight. The punches on the ground were just icing on a big ol' cake. When it comes to Struve he needs to learn that leg kicks aren't good enough for his reach. He should be throwing front kicks to the body and using a solid jab. Those are strikes that keep someone from walking in. It sucks to get hit with a leg kick but it doesn't really keep someone from moving forward.
- Jorge Rivera has looked as good as he has in years in his last two fights. Nate Quarry looked okay early as he was able to land leg kicks but once Jorge found the range of his right hand he was able to just dominate with hard punches, hurting Quarry repeatedly. Rivera looks like he has found new life, he's moving better and he seems like he's taking punches better.
- Ross Pearson fought a really smart fight against Dennis Siver. Rather than looking to just sling punches he found openings and worked to a fairly safe decision against a dangerous guy.
- Without seeing the undercard yet it's too hard to say a ton about most of the fights. Gleison Tibau absolutely wrecked Caol Uno. It was a much needed finish for Tibau and should signal the end of Uno's time in the UFC.