UFC Fight Night 21 post-fight press conference notes:
Roy NelsonHT: transcribed by bleacherreport.com, cagewriter.com
- Nelson talked about the long-rumored James Toney fight. He initially said that he’d like to see it and that he is fine with beating up Youtube guys. Then, he said he really wants to fight the best in the world and it’s not a fight he’d want to see.
- On his body type, he said that Tank Abbott was a hero to everyone, but he just couldn’t fight. The difference is that Nelson can fight.
- Said the game plan went exactly as they expected. He’s got a lot to improve on, but was happy and wants to push hard to be on the Boston event in August.
- He felt good going in and said that Siver is an awful tricky fighter. He mentioned the spinning back kicks as being tough. He was well-prepared to go three rounds and if it was a title fight, he would have gone five.
- He had no immediate plans for his bonus, but that it may go toward a house as he still lives with his parents.
- He said eventually, Gomi decided to go upright and he opened him up with striking. He was able to change levels and take him down. At the elite level, one mistake can be the difference.
- As far as future matchups, he mentioned Gray Maynard who had said he wanted the winner of this fight. Also said Penn is still out there, but he wants to face a tough guy….the elite guys.
- Said the five months between now and August would be perfect. He’s taking a Carribean vacation for the first time–his first vacation in five years–and was going to just relax on the beach.