Copyright Zuffa, LLC: All Rights Reserved.
FightMetric released reports for both Dominick Cruz vs. Scott Jorgensen and Ben Henderson vs. Anthony Pettis from WEC 53. Both fights utilized the entirety of the championship rounds en route to the judge's scorecards. Cruz dominated Jorgensen from bell-to-bell in the bantamweight affair, winning every round on all three cards. Pettis became the final WEC lightweight champ in a classic fight that will forever be remembered by a flying, Matrix-esque capoeira kick launched from the cage wall.
Interesting stats from the reports:
- Cruz landed 243 total strikes, setting a WEC record that will never be broken. That's 48.6 strikes per round. Jorgensen connected on 69 strikes for the entire fight.
- Dominick Cruz threw 721 strikes, almost twice as many as the 440 combined attempted strikes from Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck in their welterweight title fight at UFC 124.
- In addition to his high-volume striking, Cruz completed 6 of 13 takedowns.
- Cruz's striking by round: 38 for 120, 68 for 162, 38 for 138, 45 for 121, and 54 for 180.
- Anthony Pettis landed 79 of 183 jabs against Ben Henderson.
- Pettis and Henderson combined for 5 takedowns (17 attempted takedowns), 7 positional advances, 2 sweeps, and 6 submission attempts.
- The FightMetric algorithm awarded a 10-10 in the second round of Henderson vs. Pettis.