WEC featherweights Rani Yahya and Chan Sung Jung (a.k.a. "The Korean Zombie") will square off in their UFC debuts at "UFC Fight Night 23" on Jan. 22. The event, while not yet announced by the UFC, is expected to be a second "Fight for the Troops" fundraiser, and should take place at Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas.
In an interview to Fernando Kallas and Marcelo Alonso with Radio PVT, the weekly MMA radio show of the Portal do Vale Tudo in Portuguese, Wallid Ismail, the manager of Rani Yahya, confirmed that the Brazilian featherweight signed to fight the new WEC fan favorite Chan Sung Jung, also know as "The Korean Zombie".
"Rani is really excited to his first fight in the UFC. It will be on the Fight For the Troops card, on January 22nd, against the Korean Zombie. It’ll be a great fight and everything that Rani needed to bring a new motivation to his career."
With both men coming off back-to-back losses and seeking to secure future employ with Zuffa, this ought to be a hell of a fight. We'll see if Jung holds true to his word about abandoning his trademark "zombie" style.
Jan. 22, live on Spike TV from Fort Hood in Killeen, Texas:
- Kenny Florian vs. Evan Dunham
- Yves Edwards vs. Melvin Guillard
- Matt Mitrione vs. Tim Hague
- Mike Swick vs. David Mitchell
- Pat Barry vs. Joey Beltran
- Rani Yahya vs. Chan Sung Jung
- DaMarques Johnson vs. Mike Guymon
- Amilcar Alves vs. Charlie Brenneman
- Willamy "Chiquerim" Freire vs. Waylon Lowe