Douglas Lima submitted Jesse Juarez at MFC 27: C. Penner/CombatCaptured via www.sherdog.com
Last Friday Jesse Juarez gave rising star Douglas Lima everything he could handle in a bout for the Maximum Fighting Championship welterweight championship. Lima ended up winning the title with an armbar, sending Juarez home with a broken arm for his troubles. When he arrived in California, the news got worse. Not only did he lose a heartbreaker, Juarez had seemingly forfeited his medical care by leaving Canada before seeking treatment. Soon his Twitter account was exploding with rage.
Today, MFC has responded with an explanatory statement from public relations chief Scott Zerr, exclusively to Bloody Elbow:
Immediately after MFC 27 on Friday, Nov. 12, Jesse Juarez was taken by an MFC staff member to a local hospital along with the necessary insurance form so that he could receive treatment.
He was treated and released. However, at no time did he alert anyone with the MFC (Mark Pavelich or Scott Zerr - both of whom he had contact information for) as to the severity of his injuries and that he might require additional care. He elected to leave Saturday morning on his scheduled flight and did not inform the MFC about the extent of his injuries. He finally called on Monday morning after he had already returned to California. On Monday, MFC Owner/President Mark Pavelich spoke with his agent Steve Rusich and with his trainer Antonio McKee about Jesse's situation.
Had Jesse alerted the MFC as to the extent of his injuries on Friday night/Saturday morning and what care may be required, the MFC would have taken all avenues to assist - just as we did with Solomon Hutcherson after MFC 26. Solomon let us know he was hurt and needed to stay in Edmonton to see a doctor. Mark Pavelich not only re-scheduled his flight, but drove him around the city including to medical care, and paid for additional stay at the hotel.
Jesse's agent and his manager both spoke with him Monday about comments he was making on Facebook and told him they were uncalled for. They have since been removed. In 10 years of MMA, the MFC has never once neglected any fighter when it comes to pre-fight medicals, fight-night care including ringside physicians, and insurance to cover any medical needs. We know first-hand that there are many organizations that cut corners in these areas - absolutely would never happen in the MFC.
Addendum: Insurance is only valid for visitors from another country while they are in Canada. We were in process of checking with our insurance company about whether Jesse could come back up to Canada for treatment and then we're told he went ahead and made his own arrangements in California.