It didn't take long for the UFC to start working on getting Jose Aldo his first opponent as an official member of the organization.
Versus.com has learned that the UFC is targeting a featherweight title fight between Aldo and top contender Josh Grispi. Contracts have been sent out to both camps.
Grispi was scheduled to fight at WEC 52 on Nov. 11, but if the fight goes through, he will of course be pulled from the card to compete against Aldo for the title.
The bout would serve as the co-main event of the evening behind the lightweight title fight between Frankie Edgar and Gray Maynard.
Helwani also confirmed that Roy Nelson has been pulled from the card, as no suitable replacement for Shane Carwin would be available. Look for Nelson to be added to a card later in January or February.
The card as it stands now:
- Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard (UFC lightweight championship)
- Jose Aldo vs. Josh Grispi (UFC featherweight championship)
- Clay Guida vs. Takanori Gomi
- Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann
- Nate Diaz vs. Dong-Hyun Kim
- Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva
- Cole Miller vs. Matt Wiman
- Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann
- Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares