According to Dana White at today's press conference:
During a conference call to formally announce the merger, UFC president Dana White confirmed that Aldo would defend the featherweight championship at UFC 125 on January 1.
White didn't name a challenger, saying that the promotion is still working on an opponent, but he sounded definitive of Aldo participating in the annual New Year's weekend event. The Jan. 1 card will also mark the first time the UFC and WEC are merged.
Jan 1st, live on Pay-per-view from Las Vegas, Nevada:
- Frankie Edgar vs. Gray Maynard [LW title]
- Jose Aldo vs. TBA [FW title]
- Roy Nelson vs. TBA
- Takanori Gomi vs. Clay Guida
- Chris Leben vs. Brian Stann
- Nate Diaz vs. Dong Hyun Kim
- Thiago Silva vs. Brandon Vera
- Antonio McKee vs. Jacob Volkmann
- Cole Miller vs. Matt Wiman
- Phil Baroni vs. Brad Tavares