Dave Meltzer has Spike’s counter-programming ratings from Saturday. No boastful press releases this time because they weren’t that good.
UFC’s attempt at counterprogramming the opposition didn’t prove as successful as in the past. UFC has always put on replays of past major pay-per-view events against the prior CBS shows, usually doing a 1.2 rating, considered very strong for Spike TV for using old footage. But they were down 25 percent from usual, doing a 0.9 rating and 1.2 million viewers with a custom-made show featuring the television debuts of four recent never-before-seen pay-per-view main event matches.
Dana Comments On Strikeforce CBS Ratings:
UFC president Dana White, predictably, wasn’t impressed with Saturday night’s card.
"CBS made its biggest mistake partnering with a tiny, small show with a roster no one cares about," said Dana White. "Just because you read on MMA.TV that someone is a superstar doesn’t make it true. This should prove that no one out there gives a [expletive] about Fedor."
In which Scott Coker replied:
"You’d think everyone [in the industry] would be happy because it’s great for the industry for everyone to be doing well," responded Coker.
WKR gives their point of view on the matter:
Over a million viewers for a cable replay package on Saturday night is nothing to scoff at but these numbers are significantly down from the UFC's other counter broadcasts.
The UFC previously countered two Strikeforce cards with replays of UFC 94 and a partial replay of UFC 100. The UFC 94 replay did 1.9 million viewers while UFC 100 drew 2 million viewers. Spike and Zuffa respectively lost 36% and 40% of their previous counter broadcast audience. Couple that with the CBS' ratings and it appears clear that the UFC came up short in their attempt to siphon off viewers.
Also, WKR has some issues with the Junkie's title "Spike TV's "UFC Main Events" draws 2.14 million viewers over two airings." While factual it doesn't accurately reflect the ratings for what Spike and Zuffa were attempting to do: draw viewers away from CBS and Strikeforce. In that regards only 1.2 million viewers tuned in for the direct counter to CBS.
We get an update from Sherdog regarding Fedor's injuries he sustained against Brett Rogers on Saturday.
Fedor Emelianenko’s injuries may not keep the top-ranked fighter on the sidelines for as long as initially expected.
The Russian heavyweight underwent a successful surgery Tuesday in Los Angeles to correct a dislocated thumb in his left hand and will have a half cast removed in 4-6 weeks, Emelianenko and his M-1 Global management team told Sherdog.com during an exclusive video interview conducted only a few hours following the procedure.
Emelianenko said he planned to return to training, sans striking, upon his return to Russia later this week. M-1 officials said Emelianenko could headline his second co-promoted Strikeforce card in the first quarter of 2010.
Via MMAWeekly, we receive word that Cyborg is expected to make her 145 lb title defense on Strikeforce's January event from Miami:
It now looks like she’ll get the title shot against Strikeforce 145-pound women’s champion Cristiane "Cyborg" Santos that was originally scheduled for Fedor vs. Rogers. Santos had to withdraw from the event due to an injury suffered in a grappling tournament in September.
The two are now expected to meet on Jan. 30 in Miami.
STRIKEFORCE: DECEMBER 19, 2009
HP Pavilion in San Jose, California
- Josh Thomson (16-2) vs. Gilbert Melendez (16-2) (LW Ttitle Unification Bout)*
- Cung Le (6-0) vs. Scott Smith (16-6)
- Matt Lindland (21-6) vs. Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza (10-2)
- Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal (5-0) vs. TBA
- Robbie Lawler (18-5) vs. TBA
- Scott Lighty (5-0) vs. Antwain Britt (9-3)
Rumored: Nick Diaz (20-7), Jay Hieron (18-4), Vitor "Shaolin" Ribeiro (20-3), Evangelista "Cyborg" Santos (16-13), Benji Radach (19-5), Marius Zaromskis (13-3), Andre Galvao (3-1).
* Pending on Josh Thomson's health.
From NightmareOfBattle, we get some interesting news about what is going on in Japan regarding the NYE shows:
WVR, RE (one half of DREAM), and FEG (the other half) are currently discussing a possible merger for NYE (listen to latest Breen radio show for more).
The WVR PR said a couple of weeks ago that there would be a big press conference concerning their NYE event last week, where they would probably announce some kind of TV deal, it never happened. The PR then said after sengoku 11 that getting a TV deal with the state of MMA in Japan right now is chaos.
Again, these talks have happened before and nothing has been materialized, but it seems pretty close now that SRC is struggling to get a good TV deal to showcase their mega bout between Ishii and Yoshida.
They haven't been able to land a deal even with Ishii vs Yoshida, so now all three companies are discussing what would be best for NYE (you might think that they dislike each other but everyone in Japanese MMA have some connection to each other and they are in the same business).
Neither have announced any fights yet despite saying that they would. So don't be surprised if a big joint press conference happens one of these days. It could probably easily change as well.
There were talks last year about a joint event as well but it never happened (this year it seems to be closer though).
Update from Josh Gross:
Also, just got wind that Dream and Sengoku will likely join forces for one NYE card. So no competing MMA cards Dec. 31 in Japan.
The FanPosts are solely the subjective opinions of Bloody Elbow readers and do not necessarily reflect the views of Bloody Elbow editors or staff.