According to $kala this is a one-fight cooperation between Affliction and EliteXC, but it's admittedly a doosy:
At least two fighters will not sit on the sidelines following the postponement of Affliction’s Oct. 4 "Day of Reckoning" event in Las Vegas.
Former UFC champion Andrei Arlovski (13-5) and IFL kingpin Roy Nelson (13-2) have been offered a heavyweight bout at EliteXC "Heat" Oct. 4 at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. The event will be aired live on CBS.
Arlovski’s management team would not comment Wednesday on the proposed bout, while Nelson’s attorney, Rod Donohoo, also refrained from remarks. However, Sherdog.com has learned from separate sources that both fighters have agreed in principle to the match and that contracts have been issued for review.
A few things:
1. This is a significant improvement of the EliteXC card. Nelson isn't the creme de la creme of the heavyweight division, but this is a legitimate heavyweight fight. To think, though, that Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock is the main event is hard to swallow. But this fight added to the Shields vs. Daley bout creates a rock solid line-up with a legitimately popular Arlovski fighting on primetime network television. Well done, EliteXC.
2. Let's be clear: this is a Hail Mary pass, but it's a damn good one. The Arlovski addition - in exchange for lifting the Affliction ban - is quite a deal. It's no long term solution, but it's enough to buy them some time.
3. I distinctly recall Gary Shaw in several interviews joking about Affliction's MMA efforts and they they couldn't compete. My how desperation changes priorities.
4. Competition is a wonderful thing, but it works two ways. Expect Dana White to see EliteXC's raise...and then some.
Press release announcing the event after the jump.
MARQUEE HEAVYWEIGHT FIGHT BETWEEN TWO FORMER MMA CHAMPIONS — ANDREI ARLOVSKI AND ROY NELSON — HAS BEEN ADDED TO THE "CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS"
PRIMETIME EVENT ON OCT. 4
LOS ANGELES, Sept. 24 — CBS, EliteXC, and Trump’s Affliction Entertainment jointly announced today that a fifth fight has been added to the lineup for CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS on Saturday, Oct. 4 featuring top-ranked MMA heavyweights Andrei Arlovski against the last reigning IFL heavyweight champion Roy “Big Country” Nelson.
Arlovski, who was originally slated to fight in the main event of the Oct. 11 Affliction card, is the No. 4 ranked heavyweight in the world, according to MMAWEEKLY.com. A native of Belarus, Arlovski was last seen ending Ben Rothwell’s 13-fight winning streak during the inaugural "Affliction Banned" show, which was held on July 19, 2008. Arlovski is a former UFC heavyweight champion and currently has a record of 13-5.
Roy "Big Country" Nelson has made a name for himself with impressive knock outs, a remarkable ground game and stellar submissions. He was the IFL’s last reigning heavyweight champion and currently holds an impressive record of 13-2. Training with Ken Shamrock’s legendary fight camp, the Lion’s Den, Nelson stands at 6'0" and weighs approximately 250 pounds.
"This is yet another testament to EliteXC’s willingness to work with other MMA promotions to bring the best possible fights to the broadest possible audience," said Jeremy Lappen, head of the Live Fight Division of EliteXC. "Special thanks to the hard working team at Affliction and of course our partners at CBS and Showtime."
Michael Cohen, Executive Vice President of The Trump Organization and Chief Operating Officer of Affliction Entertainment, added, "Mr. Trump and the Affliction Entertainment group are honored to be working alongside CBS, Showtime and EliteXC. It is without question that this event will exceed everyone’s expectations and will continue to uphold Affliction’s promise to promote the best fights for the benefit of the fans."
The third installment of CBS’s primetime MMA event, CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS, will be broadcast live from the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. on Saturday, Oct. 4 (9:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.
EliteXC and Affliction have teamed up to deliver one of the strongest MMA cards, top to bottom, of the year. The following is the confirmed lineup for the Oct. 4 CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS:
- Kimbo Slice vs. Ken Shamrock (Heavyweights)
- Jake Shields vs. Paul Daley (for EliteXC Welterweight title)
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Roy "Big Country" Nelson (Heavyweights)
- Gina Carano vs. Kelly Kobold (Women's 140-Pound Weight Class)
- Murilo "Ninja" Rua vs. Benji Radach (Middleweights)
CBS ELITEXC SATURDAY NIGHT FIGHTS will be produced by SHOWTIME Sports. The executive producer is David Dinkins, Jr.